Sunday 1 February 2015

Work/Life Balance (i.e. rejoining the workforce)

I've been a bit quiet for the last couple of weeks, largely due to my much anticipated return to work. Sorry 'bout that! Thanks for bearing with me while I get my stride.

I think working out the ideal work/life balance for your family is one of those things that is both reasonably unpredictable and also prone to change over time. I guessed that I would relish my full year of parental leave, so had put in leave until June. But once Young Sir was reliably sleeping through the night (don't get me wrong, there are no guarantees, but most of the time he does) it didn't take me long to get itchy feet - I couldn't wait to get back to work.

I still wasn't keen to work full time and have been able to negotiate (until June - then we'll see what happens) to work 20 hours a week, spread over three days. Right now, this seems pretty much perfect to me - I'm really enjoying being back in the working world, but I still get two weekdays at home with my baby, and finish work mid-afternoon on the other days.

I know I'm lucky in the flexibility I have at the moment - though I think employers who refuse flexible working arrangements probably lose out on some great employees... But at the same time I recognise that it's hard for employers to juggle part timers in roles where most folk are full time.

Of course, the ideal for me right now is probably different from your ideal right now - and indeed from my ideal six months from now.

Have you found a balance that works for you and your family? Did it take some tweaking or did you instinctively know what would work? Or do you just make it work?

No comments:

Post a Comment