Monday 17 November 2014

Stuff You Need for a Newborn (in my inexpert opinion)

We’ve always been a bit minimalistic – we like having comforts but both my husband and I have aversions to clutter –and we live in an 80sqm townhouse so there are some natural constraints to what we can reasonably store.

Though everyone told us we’d have to succumb to having our house full of baby stuff we figured we could probably somewhat limit the carnage by thinking everything through, and so far (though the child isn’t yet mobile – I recognise my control will be eroded somewhat when that happens!) we aren’t too babified.

I found it overwhelming looking for information on what you actually need to start off with as a lot of the info out there is written by folk who make their money out of selling baby gear – slight bias there, possibly? 

There are an awful lot of things that you can easily buy soon after your baby's birth if you decide you do need them after all (like pacifiers/dummies - available from the supermarket - and yes, we did that, and no, our child would not take them so I guess they are officially baby clutter now!), and really not many at all which you must have on hand. However, because I like to buy things online (more to choose from + often cheaper) and to plan ahead, I like lists. So I’m sharing what we’ve done, which probably won’t be spot on for anyone else but might at least provide a starting point that isn’t YOU MUST BUY ALL THE THINGS IMMEDIATELY.

I’ve set the list up as a page so it's easy to find for any expectant mums, and I'd love to know what you think. 

Without further ado: 

The Pragmatic Newborn Stuff List

A special thanks to those who I constantly bombarded with questions about what they had and how they did stuff for their babies… It must have been a long nine months for you! 

So tell me - have I missed anything important? What have I added that you don't think is necessary? 

No comments:

Post a Comment