Saturday 29 November 2014

Losing my hair (hopefully not all of it!)

Things no-one tells you about pregnancy and childbirth #73 - the impact on your hair.

I (fortunately) had read a little bit about this while pregnant - it's quite common for your normal hair loss to slow down during pregnancy, so your hair gets thicker and your drains don't get as clogged. And then, sometime after your baby is born, your body realises it needs to do some shedding and it starts coming out thick and fast.

But I thought I had dodged the bullet; I didn't notice my hair getting thicker during pregnancy, and I couldn't tell if it was falling out less (I have short hair which I think makes both less noticeable). And I'd assumed the post-natal stuff happened pretty quickly after the birth.

So last week when I noticed that there was hair all over the bath I was taken by surprise - because I thought this feature had passed me by. But then I noticed every time I ran my hands through my hair I'd get quite a few strands. And they started showing up on my pillow and on Young Sir. So yup - my hair is definitely saying goodbye.

I'm not worried, because I know I'm only shedding what my body was holding on to - but I am pretty glad I was pre-informed else I might have freaked out a little when I saw this this morning:


The only question I have is: why do none of the greys fall out? I wouldn't miss them!

No comments:

Post a Comment