Monday 1 December 2014

How to be an awesome Aunty (or Uncle)

I've been an aunty for three and three quarter years now - I know, nothing in the greater scheme of auntydom but a lot longer than I've been a Mum! However, the latter title has taught me a few things about the former so I thought maybe I'd share my insight for anyone who wants to up their aunty game.

Respect the parents' parenting philosophies
It's all good to be the playful and fun aunt or uncle, but keeping things happy by respecting any guidelines the parents set is a winning move. Mostly at the moment I see this in relation to sleep - when I was just an aunty I didn't understand the importance of the full length nap and willed my nephews to wake up early to play. These days I get it - and though it's a bit dull I reckon boring now is better than catastrophic tantrum later!

Knit, sew or buy fun clothes that the parents won't get for their own kids - but not too manyIt's fantastic having quirky and interesting clothing given - but also recognise that parents often have their own preferred styles for their kids (for both practical and aesthetic reasons) and probably won't want to dress them in the stuff you provide all the time.

Offer to babysit
The no brainer - if you're game - fun times with your nephews and nieces and it'll make your sibling happy because they get free time. When they're small the parents might only be happy leaving if the kids are sleeping - so you get the brownie points for no effort except for hanging out in their house. 

Don't forget that your sibling is also an interesting person
It's a common theme with new babies that 100% of the focus goes on them - and hey, they are way more adorable than most adults. But it does get old after a while only talking about your baby, especially in the first few months when they can't really do much.

These are mainly derived from stuff I've done that was probably annoying to my sister - so I guess it's fair enough if no-one pays any attention and ignores all this in relation to my own offspring! What do you think makes a great aunt or uncle?

No comments:

Post a Comment