Thursday 11 December 2014

Thirsties One Size All in One Review

I was keen to try this nappy as we currently use and love the Thirsties Duo wraps with our fitted nappies, and they are pretty much bombproof due to a snug fit and the excellent leg gusset. Unfortunately (for reasons which remain a mystery to me) they decided not to bother with the gusset on the new all in one but it's still a pretty good nappy.

I heard someone refer to all-in-ones as the "gateway nappy" of the modern cloth nappy world and this one really ticks that box - really similar to a disposable in how it's used and therefore very simple for anyone to work out (I actually find these easier to put on than disposables).


Nappy construction:
PUL shell with microfibre lining and insert. Two sets of domes to adjust rise for smaller babies. My 7kg baby fits the middle setting well. Laundry tabs are immediately adjacent to velcro/aplix, so unlikely to rub against skin and easy to stick straight down when taking the nappy off. Soaker pad is attached at the front and sits nicely within the nappy both length and widthwise. Lining is fully attached (no pocket) so if boosting was required the additional pads would just be laid in the nappy. Very trim!


Nappy weight (dry): 101g

Price: ~$34 (purchased from Amazon so dependent on exchange rate. Nappy Heaven can order these in for a very similar price so enquire if you want to buy locally). 

Ease of use: Extremely easy – very stretchy elastic, strong velcro/aplix, soaker easily contained within the nappy (no folding or tucking needed). 

Absorbency: ~250ml – the worst in my test but still a pretty decent amount of liquid!

Drying time: Extremely quick – under an hour on the line.

Leakproofness: Good  - no leaks experienced and fit is very snug.

Conclusion: My top criteria for nappies is that they hold everything in - which this does easily for my boy. After that comes ease of use and this is as easy as it comes - so this is my favourite out of the nappies I've tried. I also like the price tag - though not the cheapest nappy available I think it performs as well as the $40 nappies - and it comes in some nice prints and colours too.

My only concern is that it is lighter on absorbency than some, so I hope it'll hold up as Young Sir grows - but only time will tell us that!

[Edit: at around seven months of age Young Sir started wetting through these nappies at the front, so I am currently researching the best booster options. I'll report back when I've found a good system!)


I bought this from Amazon, which ships these directly to New Zealand at very reasonable rates. I have since discovered that Nappy Heaven is able to provide these by special order at about the same price - so you have options should you want to buy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment